Impotence or erectile dysfunction refers to a man’s absolute inability to obtain a penile erection even after proper stimulation. If the condition is not absolute, i.e.; either erections are not complete or there is an inability to maintain them long enough, then the condition in general is called ‘penile dysfunction’.
Causes of Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction
- In majority of cases psychological reasons are implicated behind erectile dysfunction.
- Vascular disease involving internal pudendal artery is thought to be one of the reasons for age related impotency.
- A nerve injury or spinal cord injury may result in impotence.
- Impotence may be an early symptom of diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis, tabes dorsalis etc.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Inability to get an erection is usually the only complaint.
- In cases of penile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and spermatorrhoea may be found.
- Depression often accompanies impotence. Severe depression can lead to impotence and impotence can lead to depression. It works both ways.