Leucorrhoea or leucorrea, vaginal discharge is a universal problem of all women. Most secretions are regarding life style physiological and warrant no medical interventions. But it is significant if it is blood stained, profuse, foul smelling or with changes in its colour.
Usually the normal secretions are slimy and slightly sticky. It is something like nasal secretion. Normally the quantity of vaginal secretions varies throughout the menstrual cycle, peaking at ovulation and also increasing when under emotional stress.
Causes of Leucorrhea
As leucorrhoea is a symptom of various gynecological conditions, physiological as well as pathological, it is important to understand that the underlying factor.
In most of conditions congestion (increased blood flow) of the pelvic organs is the results of excessive secretion. This excessive discharge may be physiological or pathological infective or non- infective.
The cause of leucorrhoea has been described as under:-
- Sedentary habits.
- Chronic illness.
- Excess of tea and coffee.
- Occupation: women serving the whole day long.
- Intestinal worms.
- Cervical erosion [when the soft cells (glandular cells) that line the inside of the cervical canal spread to the outer surface of cervix. The outside of cervix normally has hard cells (epithelial cells).
- Displacements of uterus retroversion.[ when theuterus rests habitually in a position beyond the limit of normal variation]
- Prolapsed of uterus [Uterine prolapse occurs when the uterus sags or slips from its normal position and into the vagina ]
- Cancer of all types.
- Chronic salpingitis [inflammation of the fallopian tube]
Cause of Leucorrhoea in Different Age Group
- Unhygienic conditions.
Unmarried girls after puberty:
- Bad hygienic conditions during menses or otherwise
- Sedentary habits
- Any long continued chronic disease.
- Congenital erosion of cervix.
In the married women:
- Bad hygienic conditions.
- Displace uterus retroversion.
- Cancer of all types.
- Long continued use of pessaries.
- Chronic cervicitis or erosion.
- Repeated and excessive intercourse.
- Birth control measure.
- Chronic ill-health
- Cancer of vulva.
- Cancer of uterus.
- Cancer of cervix.
- Prolapse and ulcer.
- Chronic cervicitis
- Fungus infection
- Chronic ill-health
Investigations for Leucorrhoea
- Duration of the complaint.
- Fungus infection
- Excessive intercourse
- About the discharge; character, modality etc.
- Smears from urethra, vagina and cervix.
- Blood examination.
- Urine examination.
- Blood pressure examination.
- Biopsy: for evidence of malignancy.
- Rest and exercise.
- Diet: none stimulating, but nourishing.
- Personal hygiene is important.
- Regularity of bowel movements and habits.
Conventional Treatment for Leucorrhoea
- If the discharge is acrid and too, copious douche of normal saline water is beneficial, otherwise, nothing is advised to apply.
- Leukorrhea may be caused by sexually transmitted diseases; therefore, treating the may help treat the leukorrhea.
- Treatment may include antibiotics such as metronidazole, clindamycin or trinidazole.
LEUCORRHEA, VAGINAL DISCHARGE – Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each medicine may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these medicines should be taken without professional advice.
COMMOMLY INDICATTED HOMEOPATHY MEDICINES FOR LUCORRHOEA
- Calcarea carb
- Arsenic album
- Thuja occidentalis
- Kali carb
- China officinalis
- Merc sol
- Acid phos
- Indicated by its general symptoms, and these are always the more important in this affection. More prominent of these are morning hunger, acidity of the stomach, cold and damp feet.
- It corresponds especially to scrofulous persons with enlarged cervical glands.
- The leucorrhoea is profuse, milky, persistent or yellow and accompanied by itching and burning.
- It suits leucorrhoea in young girls often recurring before puberty.
- Leucorrhoea before menses or in recurring attacks between the menses.
- Menses profuse and long lasting.
- Coldness or hands and feet with profuse cold sweat.
- Milky leucorrhoea which becomes watery, acrid from being retained in the vagina.
- Thick, creamy, white leucorrhoea sometimes replacing menses.
- Disposition to lie down and dullness very marked.
- Mild yielding female with irritability due to disease.
- Desire for fatty rich food which aggravate.
- Patient feels better when telling her complaints.
- Leucorrhoea yellowish green color, somewhat offensive and often excoriating.
- It is milky, worse before menses.
- Pain in abdomen and itching in vagina.
- The patient has a sallow, pimply face, and it is most suitable to those of dark complexion who are feeble and debilitated and who have a sensation of emptiness at the pit of the stomach.
- Mentally patient is very anxious about family and her children. Or may be indifferent to them.
- Leucorrhoea with backache.
- Profuse watery, sometimes a yellowish leucorrhoea.
- Acridity is marked; it causes excoriating of the parts which come in contact with it and causes soreness and smarting and red spots and itching on the vulva.
- Leucorrhoea with great debility.
- Leucorrhoea acrid, thin, offensive causes burning to the parts.
- Burning pain as red hot iron.
- Stitching pains in pelvis extending to thigh.
- All complaints worse on least exertion.
- Patient exhausted both mentally and physically.
- Restlessness cannot remain in same position or at same place.
- Thirst for large quantity at frequent intervals.
- Clear, copious and albuminous leucorrhoea.
- Leucorrhoea with sensation as warm water is flowing.
- Leucorrhoea midway between menses with great nervousness.
- White as starch, perfectly bland without pain.
- Menses too profuse, too soon with nausea.
- Leucorrhoea in chlorotic girls which is transparent and yellow in colour.
- Very profuse and ropy
- Greatly exhausting, as it is very rich in albumen.
- It occurs chiefly in the daytime
- The great profuseness is its characteristic.
- Very bad constipation. Patient has to strain much even for soft stool.