Carbuncle is a cluster of boils with several openings for discharge of pus.
A carbuncle is an infection of the subcutaneous tissues involving the hair follicles, usually caused by staphylococci bacteria.
It is highly infectious disease may spread to the other area of skin in same patient or to other person who are in contact of infected person.
Causes of Carbuncle
A carbuncle develops due to infection in the hair follicles by bacteria or the fungus. Staphylococcus aureus is the most commonly responsible bacteria for this skin condition. The infection can be contagious so care should be taken to limit the infection.
Who gets Carbuncle?
An infection occurs most easily when people are overworked, anemic, or undernourished; with low vitality or lower resistance in the body. Diabetes can also trigger this condition because whenever there is high blood sugar level, it causes increased sugar level in the body tissues; in these circumstances bacteria get a favorable environment to grow and replicate.
Sign and Symptoms of Carbuncle
Carbuncle is a cluster of boils. A carbuncles presents itself as circumscribed area of inflammation having multiple opening and accumulation of pus and dead cells under the skin. Pus and discharge is drain from the multiple opening.
Inflammation, burning, itching, pain are the symptoms of carbuncle. There may be fever, chill and rigor due to infection.
Carbuncles may develop anywhere, but they are most common on the back and the nape of the neck.
Diagnosis of Carbuncle
Diagnosis does not require any specific lab investigation. Clinical presentation is sufficient to diagnose carbuncle.
Blood sugar is required sometimes to rule out diabetes.
Conventional treatment for Carbuncle
Antibiotics are usually choice of treatment for carbuncle.
An incision can be made to drain the pus under the skin.
Carbuncle – Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat carbuncle but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several medicines are available for carbuncle treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensation, modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are some specific homeopathic remedies which have remarkable action on carbuncle:
- Arsenic album
- Carbo veg
- Carbolic acid
- Apis Mel
- Hepar Sulph
- Muriatic acid
- Nitric Acid
- Rhus Tox
- Merc iod
- Secale cor
- Carbuncles, with burning, stinging pain
- Swelling or puffing up of various parts, oedema, red rosy hue. Stinging pains, soreness.
- Extreme sensitiveness to touch and general soreness is marked.
- Cannot concentrate mind when attempting to read or study.
- Vomiting of food.
- Craving for milk
- This nosode has proven a great remedy in epidemic spleen diseases of domestic animals, and in septic inflammation, carbuncles and malignant ulcers.
- boils and boil-like eruptions, acne.
- Terrible burning.
- Haemorrhages, black, thick, tar-like, rapidly decomposing, from any orifice.
- Ulceration, sloughing and intolerable burning.
- Black and blue blisters.
- Septic states when the system is thoroughly poisoned and the prostration is profound.
- Boils, carbuncles, ulcers, with bluish, purple surroundings.
- Dark blisters. Bed-sores, with black edges.
- Blue-black swellings.
- Hot perspiration, bluish, purplish appearance.
- Pyrogen is the great remedy for septic states, with intense restlessness.
- All discharges are horribly offensive-menstrual, lochial, diarrhoea, vomit, sweat, breath, etc.
- Great pain and violent burning in abscesses.
- Great debility in the morning
- Bursting headache with restlessness.
- A toxaemic medicine, septic conditions.
- Adapted to the most severe types of inflammation and pain, early and persistent prostration.
- Purplish hue and burning, stinging pains.
- Abscesses, where pain and inflammation predominate.
- During process of ulceration it clears the wound of its decaying masses and promotes healthy granulations
- Want of vital warmth;
- Slow progress of the disease
- Carbuncle between the shoulders and nape of the neck;
- Indurations remaining after boils or carbuncles