This is also known as the ‘post viral syndrome’ or ‘myalgic enchphalomylitis;. This is a syndrome in which person suffering from an acute illness never seems to recover fully from it. Even after the acute illness is over, the patient does not feel well and complains of malaise, fatigue, myalgia, headache, and exhaustion.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – CAUSE
- Not known specifically. Usually occurs after an acute viral illness.
- Enteroviruses are implicated.
- Often occurs after mononucleosis.
- Overexertion (mental or physical) during an acute illness can predispose to it.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – MECHANISM – WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS?
Not known so far.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- The most pronounced symptom is ‘fatigue’. the person always feels very tired, sometimes so much that even going from one room to other may seem like a chore.
- Myalgia or body ache
- General malaise and headache
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – HOW DIAGNOSIS IS MADE?
- Diagnosis is usually done clinically.
- There is no specific test but in some cases antibodies to Coxsackie-B or Epstein-Barr viruses may be present.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – COMPLICATIONS
- Since the complaint is chronic in nature, depression, work inefficiency can occur.
- Many patients become chronically disabled.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – WHAT TO DIFFERENTIATE FROM?
Acute viral illness is often followed by a week or two of weakness and sleepiness. This should not cause unnecessary worry.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Homeopathic Remedies & Homeopathy Treatment
Homeopathy is the only form of treatment that I have seen working in this condition. But even with homeopathic drugs it may take a few months to resolve this condition fully. But considering that there is no conventional treatment and most people suffer for years, a few months may be a very short period.
Some of the medicines that I have found of use in this condition are carbo-veg, china, mygale-l, sarcolactic acid, natrum-sal etc.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – CONVENTIONAL TREATMENT
- No specific treatment is available
- A few individuals partially respond to anti-depressant medication
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
- Deep breathing and walking in fresh air can increase the energy levels.
- A well balanced nutritious diet with ample fluids should be taken.
- Avoid mental and physical exertion during an acute illness. Try to take proper rest. DO NOT ‘ pop-a-pill and go-to work’ if you are not feeling very well.
WHERE ELSE TO FIND MORE INFO? INTERNET RESOURCES
Davidson’s Principles and Practise of Medicine, 17th ed, 1996, Churchill Livingstone
New Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica & Repertory, William Boericke, 2nd revised ed., 2001, B. Jain
Select Your remedy, Rai Bahdur Bishambhar Das, 19th ed, 1999, Bishambar Free Homeo Dispensary
A Concise Repertory of Homeopathic Medicines, S.R.Phatak, 3rd ed, B. Jain
Practical Homeopathic Therapeutics, Dewey, reprint ed, 1993, B.Jain