This condition refers to the pain or discomfort associated with menstruation. About 80 percent of the time, cramps are part of the primary dysmenorrhea syndrome. Although not a serious medical problem, it’s usually meant to describe a woman with menstrual symptoms severe enough to keep her from functioning for a day or two each month.
- Symptoms may begin one to two days before menses, peak on the first day of flow, and subside during that day or over several days.
- Pain is usually of dull, aching, cramping types occurs in the pelvis or lower abdomen may radiates to the thigh and back.
- This pain may associate with other symptoms like nausea, vertigo, diarrhea, irritability etc.
Types of Dysmenorrhoea
There are two types of dysmenorrhoea depending upon the cause.
- Primary dysmenorrhoea- menstrual cramps without any underlying pathology is known as primary dysmenorrhoea which is quiet normal and affects most of females. Used to happen in young girls and young females.
- Secondary dysmenorrhoea- if menstrual cramps occurs due to some pathology of uterus or ovaries like fibrods, endromitriosis, PID, ectopic pregnancy is known as secondary dysmenorrhoea.
Diagnosis of Dysmenorrhoea
- Basically patient’s age her menstrual history and character of pain reveals the cause of dysmenorrhoea.
- Otherwise ultrasonography is a diagnostic tool to confirm the diagnosis.
Conventional treatment for Dysmenorrhoea
- Medications like NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, paracetamol .
- hormonal birth control pills may help.
- Surgery is suggested in secondary dysmenorrhoea due to fibroid.
DYSMENORRHEA, Painful Menstruation, Menstrual Cramps – Homeopathy Treatment & Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat dysmenorrhoea but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several remedies are available to cure dysmenorrhoea that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensations and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are following remedies which are helpful in the treatment of dysmenorrhoea:
- Mag phos
- Nux vomica
- Arsenic album
- Veratrum album
- Calcarea carb
- Calcarea phos
- China officinalis
- Ferrum met
- Throbbing pains, violent pains, worse on the right side.
- Sudden onset. Bright red, clotted, hot, profuse bleeding.
- Congested/full feeling in uterus.
- Bearing down sensation.
- Irritable with maddening pains.
- Better lying down, propped up;
- Thirst for cold water or no thirst at all, desire for lemons or lemonade, worse motion, worse from being jarred, worse light and noise.
- The mentals will be the guiding symptoms here.
- The person may be hypersensitive and intolerant to the painv
- Very irritable, easily angered and inconsolable.
- Intense pains extending down inner thighs.
- The blood may be black with large clots with gushing of bright red blood.
- The person desires cold drinks, is worse lying down, better cold applications.
- This one looks a lot like Mag-phos. (see below).
- There’s a bit more emphasis on the amelioration from hard pressure with this one.
- There may be an exaggerated “bending double” postition; with Mag-phos, the heat is more important than the hard pressure, though Colocynth likes heat as well.
- Irritable, indignant.
- Anger aggravates.
- Painful swelling of the breasts before the period.
- Flow is in gushes.
- Pains may alternate from side to side.
- PMS-irritable, jealous, depressed, headache, flushes of heat all ameliorated with the onset of the flow.
- Severe cramps, worse from pressure of the clothing, ameliorated with the onset of the flow.
- Flow may be black, scanty, lumpy; the less the flow, the more the pain.
- Better from open air, cold drinks, talking, worse from sleep, heat, hot drinks.
- This is the main one; if you’re not sure what to do, give Mag-phos.
- This is the typical picture of a woman with her period, doubled up with a hot water bottle or heating pad pressed firmly against her stomach.
- The flow is dark.
- She wants to be nurtured; better hot baths, better pressure, worse lying on the right side.
- Thirst for cold drinks.
- Pain lower back with constant urging to stool.
- Patient may be chilly and very irritable, impatient and angry.
- Better rest, lying down, worse pressure–even pressure of clothing.
- Desire for fats and spicy foods.
- The menses are easily suppressed, for instance, by getting the feet wet or by bathing.
- Menses are irregular and the flow is irregular–changeable.
- The mentals will be a tip off here.
- The Pulsatilla person is weepy, changeable, shy, dependent, wants nurturing, love, attention;
- She is thirstless; she craves creamy things–whipped cream, ice cream;
- She is warm, worse in warm rooms, better in open air, walking slowly in cool crisp weather.
- Severe cramps extend from low back to pubis; also, pain extends from uterus to thighs.
- Blood is bright red or bright red mixed with dark clots.
- Shooting pain up the vagina.
- Better lying flat on the back with limbs extended.
- Continuous discharge of watery black blood until the next period.
- Weak uterus, bearing down sensation as if all the organs would fall out, must cross her legs; menses late, scanty, irregular or early and profuse.
- Violent stitches upward in the vagina. Low sex drive.
- Patient may be angry, tired, chilly, irritable and over-worked.
- She may desire sour foods like pickles, but also may desire chocolate.
- She may be much improved by exercise, worse from cold, better warmth.
- Heavy periods, severe cramps often associated with diarrhea and vomiting.
- Chilliness with cold sweat, especially on the forehead, and weakness/exhaustion, feels faint; may desire ice water.