Hay fever (allergic rhinitis), is an irritation and inflammation of mucous membrane of nose characterized by
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Running watery discharge from nose
- Stuffy nose due to congestion
- Burning sensation of the palate and throat. It is usually caused by allergies to airborne substances such as dust, moulds, pollens, animal fur and feathers. It is often aggravated by a food allergy, the most common being an allergy to milk
Causes of allergic Rhinitis
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
Early phase response occurs within minutes of exposure to the allergen tends to produce
- Itching in nose and eyes
- Clear nasal discharge (rhinorrhea)
Late phase response occurs 4 to 8 hours after allergen exposure and is characterized by
- Nasal congestion and stuffy nose
Hay fever is most common in people with a family history of similar complaints or a personal history of eczema, hives (urticaria), and/or asthma.
Diagnosis of Allergic Rhinitis
- Allergy testing for revealing the pollen or other substances that trigger Allergic reaction in body. Skin test is commonly used.
- Blood test may be helpful in determining specific allergen sensitivity.
- A complete blood count (CBC) test for eosinophil count may also help diagnose allergies.
- Even if a person has negative skin-prick and blood tests for allergies, he/she may still have allergic rhinitis, from a local allergy in the nose. This is called local allergic rhinitis. Specialized testing is necessary to diagnose local allergic rhinitis
Conventional Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
- Medicines called antihistamines used for treating allergy symptoms.
- Some can cause sleepiness.
- Antihistamine nasal sprays may work well for treating allergic rhinitis.
- Nasal corticosteroid spraysare the most effective treatment for allergic rhinitis.
- They work best when used regularly.
- Decongestants may also be helpful for reducing symptoms such as nasal stuffiness.
- Should not use nasal spray decongestants for long term.
- Leukotriene inhibitors are the medicines that block leukotrienes. These are the chemicals the body releases in response to an allergen that also trigger symptoms.
Complications of HAY FEVER, Allergic Rhinitis
Upper and lower respiratory diseases, including asthma, sinusitis, and otitis media with effusion, frequently complicate allergic rhinitis. The close association of nasal allergies with these conditions has been supported by extensive epidemiologic evidence.
If these diseases are unsuccessfully treated, a chronic state of inflammation, obstruction, and infection develops that can cause mucosal damage and, ultimately, chronic disease.
When left untreated, allergic rhinitis often becomes chronic and may lead to complications including:
- Chronic nasal inflammation and obstruction, which can lead to more serious complications in the airways
- Acute or chronic sinusitis
- Otitis media, or ear infection
- Sleep apnea or other sleep disturbances
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Dental problems caused by excessive mouth breathing
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
Homeopathy Treatment for HAY FEVER, Allergic Rhinitis
Aim of Homeopathy treatment for Allergic Rhinitis-
To make free from life time medication[Corticosteroids, decongestants and antihistamins]
Medicines that do not gives another compensatory suffering such as sleepiness, dullness etc.
To increase patients own immunity to fight from disease rather decreasing it with immunosuppressive medications
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. A miasmatic tendency (predisposition/susceptibility) is also often taken into account for the treatment of chronic conditions. The homeopathic remedies for allergic rhinitis given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. The symptoms listed against each homeopathic remedy may not be directly related to this disease because in homeopathy general symptoms and constitutional indications are also taken into account for selecting a remedy. To study any of the following remedies in more detail, please visit our Materia Medica section. None of these homeopathic remedies for warts should be taken without professional advice.
List of commonly indicated homeopathy medicines for Allergic Rhinitis
- Arsenic album
- Ambrosia artemisiaefolia
- Allium cepa
- Hepar sulph
- Merc sol
- Natrum sulph
- Many symptoms of this remedy correspond to hay fever;
- It has a thin watery discharge from the nose which excoriates the upper lip, but still the nose is stuffed up.
- There is much sneezing from irritation in the nose, but not a particle of relief there from;
- The coryza is worse after midnight or from a change of weather.
- Patient is very restless mentally and physically.
- Very particular of everything, wants everything very neat and clean.
- This medicine is prepared from common ragweed and is useful in some cases of hay fever.
- The writer has used the remedy as a prophylactic with success in those cases appearing at the time of the blooming of the ragweed and has prescribed it with marked benefit in cases unquestionably due to the ragweed irritation.
- It would probably be in-efficacious in cases arising from the pollen of the golden rod and daisy.
- Of great use in hay fever with watery discharge, profuse coryza and frontal pains.
- There is spasmodic and continual sneezing with only slight catarrhal discharge.
- It will often cut short an attack, but it will not always cure permanently as it is not deep action enough.
- Violent sneezing in morning with profuse nasal discharge
- Strong craving or aversion for garlic and onion.
- Applicable to more cases of hay fever, better results are obtained from it than from any other drug.
- It also has prophylactic power if used in the 3x or 2x potency.
- Its indications are excoriating lachrymation and coryza.
- Swelling of eyelids and nose.
- It is more pronounced in its action on the left side.
- Especially useful in those experiencing asthmatic symptoms.
- Watery nasal discharge with profuse lacrymation [watery eyes]
- Burning in eyes and eyelids.
- Feels better in open air.
- Violent sneezing as soon as reaching in warm room.
- Watery nasal discharge with headache and cough.
- Burning in nose, mouth and throat
- Medicine for asthma associated with hay fever.
- Asthma on lying down.
- All complaints specially around mid night.
- Dry cough with ticking sensation in throat.
- Allergic complaints due to living in damp house, basements and cellars.
- All complaints worse in rainy season.
- Thick yellow nasal discharge.
- Difficult breathing in damp weather. Constant desire to take deep breath.