Impotence or erectile dysfunction refers to a man’s absolute inability to obtain a penile erection even after proper stimulation. If the condition is not absolute, i.e.; either erections are not complete or there is an inability to maintain them long enough, then the condition in general is called ‘penile dysfunction’.
Types of Impotence or Erectile Dysfunction
Primary impotence: A man has never experienced an erection.
Secondary impotence: A man with previously adequate sexual function who is no longer able to achieve erection for coitus.
Causes of Impotence, Erectile Dysfunction
Physical/ Pathological causes:
- Neurogenic: Neuropathy due to Diabetes
- Spinal cord Injury
- Pelvic Injury or Trauma
- Surgery or Radiation: Prostate or Bladder surgery or Radiation for Cancer treatment
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Circulation or Arterial Disorders-Peripheral vascular disease.
- Cardio Vascular Causes: Hypertension
- Stress at work or home
- Nervousness related to sex
- Performance anxiety
- Juvenile depression, religious, moral and social inhibition etc
- Martial disharmony-frigidity, negative attitude, dishonesty, physical and mental ugliness, emotional upset, argument nature, and acting personality etc of partner.
Causes related to medical intervention [Iatrogenic]:
- Anti-Hypertensive Treatment
- Post Surgical or Reconstructive Surgery
- Age It usually takes place with advancing age
- Use of recreational drugs, tobacco, smoking etc. causing arterial narrowing and vaso-spasm
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Inability to get an erection is usually the chief complaint.
- Difficulty maintaining an erection during sexual activities
- Reduced interest in sex
- In cases of penile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and spermatorrhoea may be found.
- Depression often accompanies impotence.
- Severe depression can lead to impotence and impotence can lead to depression. It works both ways.
Conventional treatment for Erectile Dysfunction.
Following medications stimulate blood flow to penis may help in Erectile dysfunction.
- Alprostadil (Caverject)
- Avanafil (Stendra)
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Testosteron (Androderm)
Side effects of these medicines
Side effects include:
- Dizziness and Lightheadedness
- Vision Problems
- Stomach upset
Some medications might also be dangerous if you are taking medicines for
- Angina pain
- Low blood pressure
- Medication for any heart disease.
Homeopathy treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat erectile dysfunction but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved medicines are available for erectile dysfunction treatment that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensation and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. Some important remedies are given below for erectile dysfunction treatment:
Commonly indicated medicines for Impotency and Erectile Dysfunction.
- Agnus castus
- Sabal serrulata
- Natrum Mur
- Strychnia Phos
- Acid Phos
- Erectile dysfunction due to excess of masturbation.
- Penis relaxed with violent sexual desire.
- Erections when half asleep in the morning ceases when fully awake.
- Mentally and physically prostrated from sexual excesses and smoking or tobacco chewing.
Agnus castus –
- Penis relaxed with no sexual desire.
- Complaints after sexual excess or repeated attacks of gonorrhea.
- Feeble erections without sexual desire.
- Emission of prostatic fluid when straining for stool.
- Absent mindedness, despair, sadness.
- Premature old look due to sexual excess.
- Entire absence of erections and sexual desire.
- Involuntary emission during stool or during urination.
- Voluptuous thoughts do not cause erection.
- Pain in testicles and at end of penis.
Sabal serrulata –
- Sexual intercourse is very painful. Pain at the time of emission.
- Wasting of testicles and penis feels shrunken.
- General debility with marked sexual debility.
- Apathy, indifference towards everything.
- Sexual weakness with headache and eye symptoms.
- Constant sexual excitement, psychical impotence.
- Loss of sexual power, deficient erections.
- Muscular weakness and tiredness. Acts is if born tired.