Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that can occur in two very different forms.Acute pancreatitis is sudden while chronic pancreatitis is characterized by recurring or persistent abdominal pain with or without steatorrhea or diabetes mellitus.
Symptoms of Pancreatitis
- Severe upper abdominal pain, with radiation through to the back, is the hallmark of pancreatitis.
- Nausea and vomiting (emesis) are prominent symptoms.
- The blood pressure may be high (when pain is prominent) or low (if internal bleeding or dehydration has occurred).
- Typically, both the heart and respiratory rates are elevated.
- Abdominal tenderness is usually found but may be less severe than expected given the patient’s degree of abdominal pain.
- Bowel sounds may be reduced as a reflection of the reflex bowel paralysis (i.e. ileus) that may accompany any abdominal catastrophe.
Homeopathic Remedies & Homeopathy Treatment for Pancreatic Diseases, Pancreatitis
#Iris versicolor. [Iris]
This remedy has a positive effect upon the pancreas, and Dr. Farrington gives the following symptoms as indicative of the remedy: Burning distress in the region go the pancreas, with vomiting of a sweetish water; the saliva has a greasy taste; there is a watery diarrhea which contains undigested fat, worse in the morning ; sick headaches may accompany.
This remedy causes in its action upon the salivary gland an increased secretion of watery saliva. It also has violent copious vomiting of a watery or sour substance, has a diarrhea of copious soft, watery, foamy stools, which contain fat, and there is a violent pain in the epigastrium and back. There is great emaciation: the patient is hungry, eats enormously and yet grows thin; there is a soapy taste in the mouth and general enlargement of the glands.
This remedy will prove valuable in tuberculous patients, where there are evidences of fatty degeneration of the various organs, especially of the heart, liver or kidneys. The stools are undigested, containing particles, of fat the face is pale, yellow, and the patient anaemic. It is useful, in atrophy of the pancreas with diabetes. Oily looking stool with particles in the looking like frog spawn or sago, is characteristic.
Reil and Buechner class Belladonna among remedies for pancreatic affections. The later says: “Catarrh of the pancreatic duct is best met by Belladonna followed by Mercurius.” Baehr recommends Atropine sulphate in pancreatic diseases. Belladonna is the most efficacious remedy in acute haemorrhagic pancreatitis.