Sciatica pain refers to the pain originated due the irritation of sciatica nerve.
Sciatica pain itself is not a disease but the symptoms of many underlying pathologies.
Sciatica refers to pain that begins in the hip and buttocks and continues all the way down the leg. This condition is often accompanied by low back pain, which can be more or less severe than the leg pain.
The term “sciatica” indicates that the sciatic nerve, which travels from the lower back through the buttocks and into the leg, is thought to be the cause of the pain in this condition.
What is Sciatic nerve ?
Sciatic nerve is the longest nerve of the body supplies to the lower legs.
Sciatic nerve originates from the sacral plexus. Sacral plexus is a nerve plexus which provides motor and sensory nerves for the posterior thigh, most of the lower leg and foot, and part of the pelvis. From sacral plexus sciatic nerve runs down to the hip, posterior aspect of the thigh to the knee. Behind knee joint it divides into two branches tibial nerve and common peroneal nerve. These two branches run from knee to the foot.
What causes Sciatica pain?
- Intervertebral disc herniation
- Spinal stenosis
- Pyriformis syndrome
Intervertebral disc herniation –
Intervertebral disc is the fibrocartilagenous structures lies between two vertebrae. Vertebrae are interlocking bone that forms spinal column which protect spinal cord.
Intervertebral disc connect the vertebrae as well as allows movement of the spinal column. Disc has two parts outer fibrous ring and inner gel like structure called nucleus pulposus. This nucleus pulposus acts as shock absorbing gel and prevent spinal cord from injury.
Due to the repeated injuries this nucleus pulposus herniated from the intervertebral space and presses the sciatic nerve results insciatica pain.
As the age progresses the elasticity of nucleus pulposus gets reduced and this limits the ability of the disc to absorb shock, ultimately irritation of the nerve and pain.
Spinal stenosis –
It is the narrowing of the spinal canal in which spinal canal lies. Due to the narrowing nerve roots get compressed results in pain and numbness in the course of nerve.
Sciatic nerves runs beneath the pyriform muscle. Pyriform muscle is the muscle of hip region. Due to the overuse of muscle this muscle gets irritated which affect the nerve also.
Sciatica may also occur during pregnancy as a result of the weight of the fetus pressing on the sciatic nerve during sitting or during leg spasms.
Symptoms of Sciatica pain?
- Pain in back radiates downward.
- Pain in inner side of the thigh may radiate to the foot.
- Numbness, burning and tingling with pain.
- Difficulty in walking
- Symptoms usually affect one side but as the disease progresses it may affect both sides.
- Pain aggravated by standing or sitting ameliorated by lying or moving.
Diagnosis of Sciatica pain
- Clinical symptoms are more than sufficient to make a diagnosis.
- CT- scan and MRI can be advised to know the exact cause of sciatica pain.
Treatment of Sciatica pain
- Pain killers for pain
- Muscle relaxant for muscle spasm
- Steroid injections for severe pain.
- Heat or ice application
Homeopathic Remedies & Homeopathy Treatment for Sciatica pain, Pain in Sciatic Nerve
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat sciatica but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several remedies are available to treat sciatica that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensations and modalities of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There are following remedies which are helpful in the treatment of sciatica:
- Kalmia latifolia
- Plumbum met
- Rhus tox
- Bryonia alba
- Kali bi chrome
- Ledum pal
- Nux vomica
- Numbness, also drawing and tearing in limbs, especially while at rest or at night.
- Sciatica, worse right side. Cannot lie on painful side.
- Hands and feet numb. Right foot hot, left cold.
- Cramps in calves and toes at night in bed.
- Limbs go to sleep. Twitching and jerking.
- Head strong and haughty when sick.
- Loss of self-confidence. Hurried when eating
- Symptoms characteristically run from right to left, acts especially on right side of body, and are worse from about 4 to 8 pm.
- Sciatica, right side, better lying down.
- Great loquacity.
- Sad in the morning; no desire to mix with the world.
- Restless and uneasy; does not wish to attend to business; wants to be off somewhere all the time.
- Mental labor best performed at night.
- Craving for alcohol, oysters. Any food causes distress.
- A rheumatic remedy. Pains shift rapidly.
- Pains from hips to knees and feet.
- Pains affect a large part of a limb, or several joints, and pass through quickly. Weakness, numbness, pricking, and sense of coldness in limbs.
- Sleepless, wakes very early in morning.
- Nausea; vomiting. Pain in pit of stomach; worse by bending forward; relieved by sitting erect.
- Sensation of something being pressed under the epigastrium.
- A remedy of unquestioned benefit in sciatica, when pain is associated with numbness of the part affected.
- Rheumatism and morning diarrhoea.
- Cramps in calves of legs and feet when in bed.
- Rheumatic pain in ankle joints and legs.
- Intense pain along the sciatic nerve; numbness alternates with pain.
- Frequent pains in calves and feet.
- Better, drawing limbs up, flexing thigh on abdomen.
- Pain in nape, back and loins.
- Backache better pressure and lying on back.
- Lumbago worse morning before rising.
- Spine and limbs feel bruised. Small of back and loins pain.
- Legs give out on rising from a chair, hips and thighs so weak.
- Sciatica; worse, lying down at night.
- pain from back down hips and thighs.
- Hamstrings feel shortened
- Thighs pain when stretching the limbs.
- Pain in bones of feet and ankles. Great restlessness.
- Here the inflammation is high and the pains come on suddenly.
- There is neuritis, and the course of the nerve is sensitive.
- The pain is especially severe at night, the parts are sensitive to the touch, the least concussion or a draft of air aggravates.
- Severe lancinating pains coming on in the afternoon or evening.
- Has to change position often; worse from motion, noise, shock or contact; cannot bear the clothing to touch him.
- Relieved by letting the limb hang down, warmth and the erect posture.
- From its action on the spinal cord, Nux is frequently the remedy in sciatica.
- It has lightning-like pains, with which twitching of the parts.
- Violent pains, has to change position; pains shoot down into the foot, the limb is stiff and contracted and the parts feel paralyzed and cold.
- Better when lying on the affected side and from the application of hot water.
- Constipated bowels and sedentary habit.